tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 22 11:50:49 2003

rolaD bom

Andrew Marrington ([email protected])

Greetings list members!

I recently purchased the Klingon Dictionary, and am new to tlhIngan Hol, and obviously to this list.

I've been playing around with translating the Chanson de Roland, which is one of the oldest, if not the oldest, extant French poems. It is about the heroic last stand of Charlemagne's rearguard at Roncesvalles in 778, and portrays an almost entirely fictional epic between Charlemagne's Christian Franks and the Moslem Moors of Spain. An heroic last stand strikes me as just the sort of thing a Klingon would like to read about!

So, I've just started to slowly translate the poem into tlhIngan Hol, more as a learning exercise than anything else, and I am wondering whether anybody other than me can actually read my Klingon! Perhaps some of you could give me some tips, or pick up things I'm doing wrong?

Old French Source:
Carles li reis, nostre emperere magnes,
Set anz tuz pleins ad estét en Espaigne.
Treqqu'en la mer cunquist la tere altaigne;
N'i ad castel ki devant lui remaigne,
Mur ne citét n'i est remés a fraindre,
Fors Sarraguce, ki est en une muntaigne.

Approximate English Translation:
Charles the king, our great emperor,
Has been in Spain for seven long years,
And conquered that proud land from coast to coast.
There is no castle which can resist him,
No wall or city which remains,
Except for Saragossa, which stands upon a mountain.

So, for my tlhIngan Hol rolaD bom, I needed to translate some proper nouns into Klingon:

qarle - Charles

Speyn - Spain

rolaD - Roland

SaraqoSa - Saragossa

And with that done:

qarle, voDleH, ta'maj Dun,

SpeynDaq Soch DIS nI' ratlhpu',

'ej 'e' puH Hem joj bIQ'a' charghta'.

qaDlaH ta'qach'a' ghajbe'bogh 'oH,

ratlhbe' reD ghap veng,

'ach SaraqoSa, HuD Qambogh.

So, does that even vaguely resemble anything sensible to anybody else?

Thanks very much,

Andrew Marrington

Back to archive top level