tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 24 09:58:45 2003

Re: rolaD bom

TIE-Fish ([email protected])

> Greetings list members!
>
> I recently purchased the Klingon Dictionary, and am new to tlhIngan Hol,
> and obviously to this list.
>
> I've been playing around with translating the Chanson de Roland, which
> is one of the oldest, if not the oldest, extant French poems. It is

[...]

> So, for my tlhIngan Hol rolaD bom, I needed to translate some proper
> nouns into Klingon:

I consider that a dangerous attempt, especially when you've merely read TKD
(I tried the same with Ezechiel at the age of 16 and gave up at the *qe'bar
biqtiQ*)! }}:-)
Anyway:

> qarle - Charles

This seems improbable. I'd rather prefer something with more power, like
*charleH* or even *charleS*.
However, "qarle" appears phonologically wrong(only my own experience. I'll
appreciate corrections). If you depend on *qarle* you might consider *qarle'*.
Else it won't be a complete second syllable(according to how I understand
tlhingan Hol).

> Speyn - Spain

Again problematic: First, there's no Klingon diphtong resembling [engl.]"ey"
exactly. Second, "Sp" at the beginning seems unappropriate, for phonological
reasons.
Eventually, *SIpayn* might be a solution.

> rolaD - Roland

Sounds not that bad, but the "D" at the end leads to the complete omission
of the original "n" in Roland. What a petty. }};-)
My suggestion is *Ho'lanID* or maybe *rol'an'ID*

> SaraqoSa - Saragossa

If the sea is meant, consider *Sar'aqoSa biQ'a'* (~Saragossan Sea), meaning
the town *Sar'aqoSa veng* seems appropriate.
However, all this is more than less unsatisfactory, as proper nouns are a
matter of Klingon Native Speakers to transcribe, if you want a "correct"
transcription. }}:-)
My ultimate proposal to you is: Get more resources about/ in tlhingan Hol,
(e.g. TKW, KGT, The Klingon Hamlet, ...) which are to be devoured completely.
Else, you might get into a "sea of troubles"(anyone out there knowing the
t.H. translation of that passage of Hamlet? I am anxious that my mail order "The
Klingon Hamlet" might be "lost in mail"!)

> And with that done:
>

> qarle, voDleH, ta'maj Dun,
>
> SpeynDaq Soch DIS nI' ratlhpu',
>
> 'ej 'e' puH Hem joj bIQ'a' charghta'.
>
> qaDlaH ta'qach'a' ghajbe'bogh 'oH,
>
> ratlhbe' reD ghap veng,
>
> 'ach SaraqoSa, HuD Qambogh.
>
> So, does that even vaguely resemble anything sensible to anybody else?

I don't know, why it shouldn't.

> Thanks very much,
>
> Andrew Marrington

What was that one proverb like?
"tiq. taq. tlhingan thlaq" ?

However -
bye, QnoHiq

--
GMX Weihnachts-Special: Seychellen-Traumreise zu gewinnen!

Rentier entlaufen. Finden Sie Rudolph! Als Belohnung winken
tolle Preise. http://www.gmx.net/de/cgi/specialmail/