tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 07 13:39:38 2003

Re: toH!

Quvar:
> >> I sometimes use a curse:
> >>     {va! ghetchu'}
> >>     "Fu**, he's good!"
> >> Perhaps I use it too often, at home :-)

Tyler:
>>Are you sure {va} is the word you want to use? As many know, {Qu'vatlh}
>>is used in moments of extreme anger. Since {va} is a shortened version of
>>{Qu'vatlh}, I can only assume it has the same meaning.

Quvar:
>Good point!

Tyler:
>>Is extreme anger really what you're trying to communicate here?

Quvar:
>It is not. [...] Now seriously, you're right. I was thinking in the
>english slang where the F-word is used too often (see the movies).

My first instinct was to ues {va} as well, but I changed my mind for the
very reason Tyler makes.

>But now I've found a better way:
>
>   TKD addendum 5.4. Adverbials gives use {jay'}
>   <<<<<
>   This word not only intensifies whatever is being said, it turns the
> whole phrase into an
>   invective. Alone among the adverbials, {jay'} always comes at the end
> of the sentence.
>   >>>>>

>{ghetchu' jay'} "He pretends #$*@ perfectly!"
>
>(Okay, this is still a bit negative.)

Exactly.  If you remember my comment which triggered this chain, I had just
used {jay'} in the previous sentence:

   tlhInganna' Daqu' ghetwI'vam jay'!  toH ghetchu'.
   This actor really makes a damn fine Klingon! Boy, can he act.

Which I later revised:

   tlhInganna' Dachu' ghetwI'vam jay'!  ghetbejqu'!

If we follow Quvar:

   tlhInganna' Dachu' ghetwI'vam jay'!  ghetchu' jay!

then I feel that two #&*@ {jay'}s in a row is really TOO MUCH #&*@
invective here!!!  <g>

Besides, it doesn't capture the feeling of pleasant surprise that I was
trying to convey when one watches an exceptionally good performance of a
{ghetwI'na'}.  toH! (Aha!) That's what I want:

   tlhIngan Dachu' ghetwI'vam jay'!  ghetwI'na' ghaH!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level