tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 06 15:43:51 2003

Re: toH!

Lieven L. Litaer (Quvar) ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

jaj 06.11.2003 DorDI' rep 15:07:21 ghItlh Tyler Fisher <[email protected]>:

>> I sometimes use a curse:
>>     {va! ghetchu'}
>>     "Fu**, he's good!"
>>
>Are you sure {va} is the word you want to use?

Perhaps I use it too often, at home :-)

- "Did you just say fffff...?!"
- "No, of course not, I just said va."
- "Yeah, right!"   ;-)

>As many know, {Qu'vatlh} is used in moments of extreme
>anger. Since {va} is a shortened version of
>{Qu'vatlh}, I can only assume it has the same meaning.

Good point!

>Is extreme anger really what you're trying to
>communicate here?

It is not.
I think this could be some new slang among the youth, mu'mey ghoQ?  :-)
baQa', Qu'vatlh! They curse too much, jay'.

Now seriously, you're right. I was thinking in the english slang where the F-word is used too
often (see the movies)
But now I've found a better way:

TKD addendum 5.4. Adverbials gives use {jay'}
<<<<<
This word not only intensifies whatever is being said, it turns the whole phrase into an invective.
Alone among the adverbials, {jay'} always comes at the end of the sentence.

{ghetchu' jay'} "He pretends #$*@ perfectly!"

(Okay, this is still a bit negative.)

Quvar.

Back to archive top level