tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 06 15:44:02 2003

Re: Barclay rur ghaH

Lieven L. Litaer (Quvar) ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

Am 06.11.2003 19:39:14, schrieb Steven Boozer <[email protected]>:

>bIlugh SoH.  I guess my Klingon is a bit old-fashioned...

qay'be'. Dayajlu'bej. :-)

>>and it should be {lutu'lu'}
>
>... but colloquial.  E.g.:
[...]
I said, "should be" not "must be".

>Besides, I'm not a Grammarian.  I don't have to speak correctly all of the
>time for the beginners! <g>

Of course.
But I AM the current Beginners' Grammarian, so it is my duty to tell everyone that it *should* be
with {lu-}. And you have done the perfect additions. Now everyone will remember, and that's how
one learns!  ;-)

>True, though "act a part" is a set expression (variation: "act the lead
>[part]") and cannot really be used as a pattern, substituting just any
>noun.  You can't say, for example, "act a character" or "acted a Klingon"
>or "Michael Dorn acted Worf" (though as a foreigner you would be understood
>in spite of the error).  You have to say "portray" or "play".

Ah, okay, thanks. That must have confused my brain-dictionary. In German, you can "play good"
(intransitive) and "play a role" (transitive).

"The actor plays a role."
"Der Schauspieler spielt eine Rolle"

"An actor acts."
"Ein Schauspieler schauspielert."

Confusing, but interesting, qar'a'?

>Another option is, of course, {latlh mu'tlheghmey} "the other sentences" or
>{latlh mu'tlheghmeyvam} "those other sentences" - relying on context to
>keep everything straight.

Thanks. I didn't think of these.

  Quvar.

Back to archive top level