tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 30 23:33:05 2003

RE: Klingon Alphabet

From: Klingon Emperor [mailto:[email protected]]
Subject: Re: Klingon Alphabet

>One thing, SuStel, I don't give a hoot if the characters stand for
sounds or words.  You need to chill out, dump the taco-bell from off
your belly, and listen.

I read SuStel's email as an attempt to be direct and detailed.  It's
hard to get tone over email, but I didn't read it as being derogatory.
He certainly never called you names or attempted to insult you.

>Something like that would really help our language out.

I disagree.  Let's divide people into 3 groups, 1) people who enjoy
studying/using the language, 2) people who don't want to put the time
and effort (for whatever reason) into Klingon, and 3) people who find
the language interesting and would like to learn it, but can't (for
whatever reason).  One question we can ask is, "how can we bring people
from group 3 to group 1."  I fear that people having to learn a new
alphabet would not help.  We are now adding 26 words to the language and
asking them to learn those first.  It might be easier just to let them
continue to use the words they know for those letters/sounds.  If
getting more people to learn the language is what you mean by "really
help", then I think your suggestion would have the opposite effect.

>Now, my original email said that I would like it if an
alphabet/Sanskrit/whatever would be named, made into cannon, and then
given individual names for the characters used by Klingons.

It will never be canon.  Canon would have to come in some way from
Paramount or Okrand.  Okrand has basically said that he is not going to
devise a "native" writing system.  Mike Okuda has said he refuses to
share a written system with the fans.  Paramount has a history of
disliking having restrictions placed on them, even ones they create
themselves.  I'm sure they're real sorry they created Klingon.  They
barely try to use it (and usually fail).  If a fan (including the KLI)
were to create a writing system, it would not be canon.  As a matter of
fact, the pIqaDqoq that the KLI uses is not canon.

>That way, IT'S NOT SO EARTHLING TO SPELL OUT

So what you are looking for is some extra flavor.  Trust me there's
enough flavor there.  The funny thing is, you are looking for more ways
to make it different from English and every time I've taught a class,
I've tried to make as many connections to English as I could.  I feel my
classes have gone best when I've used the knowledge that the students
already have to teach them something new, rather than just throwing out
everything they know and trying to start from scratch.

I do understand your wish.  I agree it might be fun to have names for
the letters of the alphabet.  Unfortunately we don't even have an
alphabet.  Although I could find a place for creating an alphabet and
names for the characters on my wish list, it would be pretty far down.
I have been learning and using the language fine without them.  I have
been teaching the language fine without them.  There are bigger problems
with the language than a lack of alphabet and letter names.  I'm still
putting my efforts into learning the language that exists, but ask those
here what items they would put on the wish list and you'll see that
there are more valuable items to do first.

Jeremy

Back to archive top level