tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 28 16:04:52 2003

Re: using {joj} "area between" (n.)

QeS lagh wrote a few days ago:

>Australia chanDaq Brisbane Samlu'chu'; Australia tIng chan je jojDaq
>Melbourne Samlu'.
>Brisbane is exactly on the east of Australia; Melbourne is in the
>southeast of Australia.
>
>(<<joj>> lo'meH tIgh lugh 'oH'a' tIgh'e'?)
>(BTW: Is that the right way to use <<joj>>?)

Our only example of {joj} comes from SkyBox card S9:

   poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu', chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'.
   The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors. S9

This is literally

   "While warriors are standing on the right (side) and on the left
    (side), the celebrant must walk between them."

Fortunately you don't need to use {joj} when using the cardinal
directions.  WRT compound directions Okrand wrote on startrek.klingon (21
Nov 1999):

   To express directions between the three cardinal points, the nouns
   are compounded. Thus, halfway between "southwest" and "east" (that
   is, halfway between <tIng> "area southwestward" and <chan> "area
   eastward)" is <tIng chan> (literally "area-southwestward area-eastward"
   or "area-southwestward's area-eastward" or, for short, "southwest's
   east"). Similarly, halfway between "northwest" and "east" is <'ev chan>.
   Logically, these words could come in the other order (that is, <chan
   tIng> or <chan 'ev>), but, for whatever reason, <chan> always comes
   second. The area halfway between "northwest" and "southwest" is
   expressed as either <'ev tIng> or <tIng 'ev>, with neither version
   significantly more common than the other.

   To get even more specific, it is possible to make a compound of three
   words (though two would always be the same): <'ev chan 'ev> would be a
   direction halfway between <'ev chan> and <'ev); <'ev chan chan> would
   be a direction halfway between <'ev chan> and <chan>.

   How this extends to even finer tuning is something pretty much lost
   except to those knowledgeable in the old ways of navigating. In more
   recent times, those needing to express directions with greater precision
   use (numerical) instrumental readouts.

   There is an idiomatic expression still heard with reasonable frequency
   which makes use of all three cardinal direction terms:

       tIngvo' 'evDaq chanDaq

   Literally, this means "from area-southwestward to area-northwestward to
   area eastward", but the idiom means "all around, all over, all over the
   place." It is used in the same place in a sentence that the noun <Dat>
   "everywhere" might be used, but it is much more emphatic:

       tIngvo' 'evDaq chanDaq jIlengpu'
       "I've traveled all over the place"

He also gave some examples of how these work with {-Daq}:

   veng chanDaq jIwam
   I hunt east of the city

   chan vengDaq jIwam
   I hunt in the city in the east (i.e. the eastern city)

   veng chan yoS
   the city's east, the eastern part of the city

He didn't give any examples with compound directions in sentences, but I
would guess:

   Australia tIng chanDaq Melbourne Samlu'.
   Melbourne is in the southeast of Australia.
   ("Melbourne is located in Australia's southeast [area].")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level