tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 27 14:16:40 2003

Re: RE: KLBC: jang pagh?

> DloraH:
> > >
> > >tlhIH is labeled as plural; we don't know if that means merely more than
> > >one, or all.  But I agree Hoch shouldn't be there.

Voragh:
> If you're speaking to a group, aren't you speaking to all of them?  (If
>
> you're only speaking to -some- of them, then that's the unexpected
> version that should be marked.)

Some languages have multiple pronouns for the different levels of plural; one
pronoun for 2, another pronoun for 3 or more, another pronoun to emphesis all
of you.
As far as we know, klingon does not do this, so I was mentioning that the gloss
for tlhIH does not say "you all", just "you (pl)".

> Quvar:
> >Yes, {tlhIH} means "you and you, and you, and...." but not
> >"Everybody-All-of-you"
> >I'm just using this translation to make the difference between "you-you"
> >and "many-you", and I
> >think MO has used this expression "all of you" too, if I'm not confused.

Voragh:
> vaj malopmeH tlhIHvaD nob SaSuqpu'.
> So to celebrate, I've gotten you all a gift. (Hallmark)
>
> And, IIRC, isn't {tlhIH} glossed as "you (pl.), all of you" in TKD?

ghobe'.

tlhIH			you (plural) (pro)
you (plural) (pro)			tlhIH
<<<