tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 27 14:08:23 2003

RE: Quote translation

>jatlh DloraH
>>In Okrand's book "The Klingon Way", p95 we have:
>>
>>QamvIS Hegh qaq law' torvIS yIn qaq puS.
>>Better to die on our feet than live on our knees.
>>("Dying while standing is preferable to living while kneeling.")
>>["The grammatical construction is a bit aberrant; one would expect QamtaHvIS
>>and tortaHvIS.  In proverbs, grammatical shortcuts are not uncommon."]

Se'noj:
>SatlhIj, I didn't realise that it had been put in a book before, I don't
>have that one.

Actually, Brigadier Kerla said it to acting-Chancellor Azetbur in ST6.  The
actor dropped the {-taH} before the {-vIS}, which is why Okrand had to
scramble to explain the "aberrant" grammar.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level