tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 23 01:49:21 2003

Re: KLBC: tlhIngan Hol vIghojmeH Sajatlh

ghItlh "QeS lagh":

>Wherever an English initial consonant cluster occurs, it seems to usually be
>separated by /I/ in its Klingon form. Can anyone else think of more examples
>of this occurrence?

{wo'rIv} "Worf"
{tIqnagh} "tknag (animal)"
{qIvo'rIt} "K'vort class"
...and many others

><<nuv latlh pa' reDmey yItI' pa' reDmeylIj DalontaHvIS.>>
>(Don't repair another man's walls and abandon your own.)

{latlh} comes first: {latlh nuv} "other person"
"Don't..." is {...-Qo'}, so "don't repair": {yItI'Qo'}
And don't forget the imperative prefix for "you-them" {tI-}

  {latlh nuv pa' reDmey tItI'Qo' pa' reDmeylIj DalontaHvIS}
  "don't repair s.o. else's inside walls while you abandon your own"

Depending on the meaning, perhaps this is better the other way around:
  {pa' reDmeylIj tIlonQo' latlh nuv pa' reDmey DatI'taHvIS}
  "don't abandon your inside walls while you repair s.o. else's..."
or:
  {latlh nuv pa' reDmey DatI'taHvIS pa' reDmeylIj tIlonQo'
  "while you repair s.o. else's inside walls, don't abandon your own."

Other possible words, instead of {pa'reD}:
  {tlhoy'}, {reD}

(repairing a wall seems to be about building a house or so, but the "interior face of a wall" {pa'
reD}, can only be painted or redecorated with a wallpaper.)

>Where would the suffixes go on a double word like <<pa' reD>>?

On the second or the final, if more:
  {tlhInganvaD} "for the klingons"
  {tlhIngan HolvaD} "for the klingon language"
  {tlhIngan Hol yejHaDvaD} "for the Klingon Language Institute"
  {tlhIngan Hol yejHaD DevwI'vaD} "for the KLI's leader"

>Do we even know what <<reD>> means?)

{reD} n. "exterior wall" (that is, a wall which separates the inside of a building from the outside)
{pa' reD} n. "interior face of exterior wall"

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
  ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH

Back to archive top level