tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 22 23:33:40 2003

RE: KLBC: tlhingan Hol vIghojmeH Sajatlh

ghItlh Jeremy:

>difficult for me) and I think they would put a small vowel sound
>in-between them naturally.  So if I got the pronunciation right and you
>are looking for the closest transliteration that can be said, I would
>suggest, "DIghavlov"
>
>Jeremy

Judging on what I have seen of some recent Klingon words, it would seem that
the most neutral vowel in Klingon is probably /I/, as you suggest. The
borrowings/puns from English that have been proposed for the following words
seem to back this up:

DIron:       from English "drone".
ghIlaSnoS: from English/Russian "glasnost".
vIlInHoD:   from English "Captain Flint".

Wherever an English initial consonant cluster occurs, it seems to usually be
separated by /I/ in its Klingon form. Can anyone else think of more examples
of this occurrence?

Savan.

QeS lagh

<<nuv latlh pa' reDmey yItI' pa' reDmeylIj DalontaHvIS.>> (Don't repair
another man's walls and abandon your own.) - Masai Hol vIttlhegh

(PS: lugh'a' vIttlheghvam? nuqDaq mojaqmey lo'lu'? cha' 'ay' tu'lu', 'ach
<<reD>> nuq? DIp? wot? chuv? HujwI'? Satlho'.
Is this right? Where would the suffixes go on a double word like <<pa'
reD>>? Do we even know what <<reD>> means?)

ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. No account expiration - no need to
worry about losing your Hotmail account. Go to
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/home&pgmarket=en-au

Back to archive top level