tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 21 15:29:05 2003

Re: Learning

----- Original Message -----
From: "susan" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 11:44 AM
Subject: Learning

>> I am having a difficult time learning Klingon.

Grammar, vocabulary, both, neither, something else?

>> How long have most of you been learning?

I am very much a newbie. I bought TKD back in '92, looked at it for a few
years, but didn't really start studying the {Hol} until about 9 months ago.
I now have about 700 words in my vocabulary (About 20% of the language),
with a decent grasp of the grammar (I will probably live to regret those
words).

 >> How much time do you put into it?

I do about 20 mins a day. (Between working out and eating dinner). After
that, things start to "fall out" of my brain. (eg, my retention rate goes to
Helena Handbasket) }}: )

>Also, print out the
>tlhIngan Hol emails sent on this list and translate them in your study
time.  The
>messages are irrelevant to the practice

Sage advice. When I do this, I try to read through the e-mail, and I write
down any words I do not know. I then look them up, and write them on an
index card. If I can recall the word three days in a row without hesitating,
it goes into the big stack of cards, which I go through probably once a week
or so. You'd be surprised how much of the context you can recall, even
months after writing the flashcard. Also, the Qo'noS QonoS is a RICH source
of translateable materials. And, if you're truly obsessive, try translating
the things you say. (To yourself, mind you. And try not to move your lips,
or it could lead to embarrassing questions like: "What'd you say?" "Oh
nothing, just talking to myself in Klingon" Next thing you know, they're
shipping you to a hospital in Oregon.) }}: D

--ngabwI'
HovpoH juHDaq:
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/ngabwi/
HovpoH 700063.5