tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 21 15:30:07 2003

Re: RE: tlhobqa'qu' taghwI'

From: "Dr. Jeremy DM Cowan" <[email protected]>

> From: David Trimboli [mailto:[email protected]]
> Subject: Re: tlhobqa'qu' taghwI'
>
> >jIyajbe'.  DelmeH pab 'oH tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom'e' qar'a'?  chut chu'
> tu'lu'bej, 'a DelmeH pabna' 'oH.
>
> What does "DelmeH pab" mean?  How do I parse that?  "Grammar to describe
> it," doesn't make any sense to me.

Purpose clauses can modify nouns as well as verbs.  For instance, /ghojmeH
taj/ "knife for learning."

I used /DelmeH pab/ as "grammar for describing."  This was my attempt to
express "descriptive grammar," a concept we have no knowledge of how to
communicate in Klingon.  I thought it was marginally better than /DelwI'
pab/ "thing which describes' grammar."

Perhaps we could be more explicit and say /pab DelmeH paq/ "book for
describing grammar."

SuStel
Stardate 3386.3

Back to archive top level