tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 25 17:42:27 2003

Re: Learning

ja' "susan" <[email protected]>:
>I am having a difficult time learning Klingon.

lI' qoch.  It helps to have someone to work with.

>How long have most of you been learning?

chorgh ben vIghojchoHpu'.  I was given a copy of The Klingon Dictionary in
December of 1994.  I coincidentally discovered this email discussion group
a month later, realized that people were actually using Klingon to
communicate, and decided to join them.

>How much time do you put into it?

Back when I was actively studying to become more fluent, I often spent an
hour or two translating messages I had received from the mailing list.  I
sometimes spent that long chatting on the KLI's MUSH and improving my skill
at near-real-time interaction.

Lately I take a few minutes each day to scan the accumulated tlhIngan-Hol
email and occasionally respond to a selected few messages.  Others I put
aside to answer later when I have plenty of time -- that's what I'm doing
today.

>I have the tape "Conversational Klingon" . I also have TKD.  The trouble
>with the tape is there is no book to follow along. I really need to see
>what I am hearing.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>Susan

I learned Klingon without having a copy of the tape to listen to.  My
pronunciation got "tuned" during face-to-face conversations with other
Klingonists at qep'a', starting with qep'a' wejDIch in 1996.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level