tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 13 13:50:41 2003

Re: COMMUNIQUE Canon

tagha' nuja' taD:

>I don't recall ever seeing it told on the list, but the tlhIngan Hol
>translation of the STAR TREK: THE EXPERIENCE COMMUNIQUE is (partially)
>canon. (I don't have the text myself; I'm sure someone else has access to it.)

Here's the version I have:

                                  **** tlhIngan De' ****

   tera' poH jaj wa', jar wa', jaj loSDIch, DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-chorgh:
HovpoHvetlh latlh nab yIHutlh.
   laS veghaS HIltonDaq <<Hov leng: yIjeSchu'>> qaSchoHmo', bIlopqu'meH
HIlton yIghoS.
     *  tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bIyIn jeSlaHpa' Hoch.
     *  DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'Daq Dajollu'.
     *  loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq bIlengtaHvIS, nIbuQbogh novpu' DaSuv.
     *  quwargh tach Qe' je qoDDaq Hov leng Soj DatIv.
   jolbogh ghom wa'DIch DamuvlaHmeH De' DaneHchugh, Se'vam yIjIHtaH.

                              **** STARFLEET TRANSLATION ****

   Save this Stardate: Sunday, January 4, 1998
   Come celebrate the grand opening of "Star Trek: The Experience" at the
Las Vegas Hilton.
     *  Be the first to journey to the 24th century
     *  Get beamed aboard the USS Enterprise
     *  Battle menacing aliens in a shuttlecraft journey through space
     *  Enjoy Star Trek themed food and drink at Quark's Bar and Restaurant
   Stay tuned for information on how you can be among the first to beam aboard!

>After Voragh had once mentioned that we never did get definite
>confirmation of who did the translation, I made a mental note to ask Marc
>Okrand at the following qep'a'.  I asked Marc about it at last year's
>qep'a'; if anyone who was there remembers details that I've forgotten,
>feel free to contribute.  Unfortunately, I forgot to report on the
>anecdote (until now).  When I asked Okrand if he had done the translation,
>he said yes.

Aha!  I've always thought that Okrand wrote it because:

1) the Klingon is pretty darn good (except for a couple of places) and
consistent with other licensed texts (e.g. the dates in the SkyBox
cards).  He even correctly used the - at the time - just-revealed noun
{qoD} which had only been mentioned by Okrand in a st.klingon post but was
later included in the KGT glossary of post-TKD words.

2) STAR TREK: THE EXPERIENCE is an official Paramount-run operation and
Paramount maintains contact with Okrand, not to mention that they wouldn't
have to worry about copyrights since (in their view) they already own
it.  Plus Paramount spent an enormous amount of money to include lots of
Klingon content and get all the details right.

>However, he added that after he had submitted his initial translation, he
>caught some errors in it, and sent a corrected version to the STAR TREK:
>THE EXPERIENCE people. He said that unfortunately, the un-corrected
>version apparently was the one that was printed.

That explains the funny bits.  After looking at the text again, I don't
suppose that you can remember anything else he said about the errors.  Were
they mistakes/typos or omissions, like the four words NBC dropped from the
Frasier "Star Mitzvah" speech?

>So I think the text could be described as something like "officially
>non-canonical tlhIngan Hol". :-/

Well, maybe "uncorrected canon" would be closer to the mark, since Okrand
did write it and it was disseminated by an official source.  I'll feel
better about quoting bits of this "STX" text (as I call it in my notes).

Now that qep'a' season is once again upon us, perhaps someone could print
out the communique and show it to Okrand if he attends so he can make the
necessary corrections if he can remember them.  (Hint, hint!)  By the way,
if he does show up I have two more brief texts which appeared in the "L.A.
Times" and "The Guardian" that I've always suspected were by Okrand as well
-- if anyone wants to ask him.

If we can pin this stuff down, then Lawrence could publish the corrected
texts in HolQeD for the benefit of those not on this list.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level