tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 03 01:45:53 2003

COMMUNIQUE Canon (was Re: KLBC Dates and Time)

At 12:58 PM 5/2/2003 -0400, DloraH gave an example with a date:
>STAR TREK: THE EXPERIENCE COMMUNIQUE
>
>tera' poH jaj wa', jar wa', jaj loSDIch, DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-chorgh: HovpoHvetlh
>latlh nab yIHutlh.
>laS veghaS HIltonDaq «Hov leng: yIjeSchu'» qaSchoHmo', bIlopqu'meH HIlton
>yIghoS.
>
>Save this Stardate: Sunday, January 4, 1998
>Come celebrate the grand opening of Star Trek: The Experience (tm) at the Las
>Vegas Hilton.

I don't recall ever seeing it told on the list, but the tlhIngan Hol
translation of the STAR TREK: THE EXPERIENCE COMMUNIQUE is (partially)
canon. (I don't have the text myself; I'm sure someone else has access to
it.) After Voragh had once mentioned that we never did get definite
confirmation of who did the translation, I made a mental note to ask Marc
Okrand at the following qep'a'. I asked Marc about it at last year's
qep'a'; if anyone who was there remembers details that I've forgotten, feel
free to contribute. Unfortunately, I forgot to report on the anecdote
(until now).

When I asked Okrand if he had done the translation, he said yes. However,
he added that after he had submitted his initial translation, he caught
some errors in it, and sent a corrected version to the STAR TREK: THE
EXPERIENCE people. He said that unfortunately, the un-corrected version
apparently was the one that was printed. So I think the text could be
described as something like "officially non-canonical tlhIngan Hol". :-/

- taD

Back to archive top level