tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 12 16:31:14 2003

Re: Opposite of -wI'

SuStel wrote:
>From: "Se'noj le'umaS" <[email protected]>
>
> > so bachwI' is the shooter and bach??? is the person/thing that is shot.
>
>No, there is no suffix in Klingon to do this.  You need to use something
>more complex.
>
>(By the way, the object of /bach/ is the bullet or ray that is propelled out
>of the weapon.  You can also use the weapon itself.  The object is not the
>person you're shooting at.  I believe this information comes from KGT.)

   The verb used for "shoot" when referring to disruptors is {bach}.
   Technically speaking, one shoots the energy beam from the disruptor.
   The general word for any energy beam ("ray") is {tIH}, so a disruptor's
   beam is {nISwI' tIH}. Thus, the correct formation is {nISwI' tIH bach}
   ("shoot the disruptor beam"). As a practical matter, however, the {tIH}
   is often left out, and {nISwI' bach} is the common way to say "shoot a
   disruptor". Similarly, {pu' bach} is "shoot a phaser". (KGT 56)

And the person or thing you shoot at is marked with {-Daq}.  We learned
this from Mark Okrand's published notes for that flubbed line in ST5:

   logh veQDaq bachchugh, yoH 'e' toblaHbe' SuvwI'.
   Shooting space garbage is no test of a warrior's mettle.
   ("If he shoots at space garbage, a warrior cannot prove
     [i.e. test conclusively] that he is brave.")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level