tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 18 00:46:53 2003

Re: Skybox cards

At 3:14 PM -0400 6/17/03, qurgh wrote:
>On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Steven Boozer wrote:
>> I'm not familiar with the season 7 cards S37-39.  I did a little online
>> research and discovered their titles - S37 ("Bloodwine"), S38 ("Klingon
>> Romance"}, S39 ("Klingon Opera")

> I have a large selection of these cards at home, and I have nagging
> feeling that the season 7 ones had just English and pIqaD on them. No
> Klingon text.

That appears to be the case.  And here's the weird thing...  37 & 38
appear to have a one-to-one substitution from the English to the
pIqaD, but 39 appears to just be gibberish (encoding a totally different
text).

>> >* Hologram 01H (Bird of Prey)
>> >* Hologram 02H (Klingon Vor'Cha Class Attack Cruiser)

>> Ditto for these Hologram cards.  Is there Klingon text on them?

> I don't think so. I think I saw these at a covention one time, and if they
> had had text on them, I would have bought them.

Again pIqaD, and again gibberish as far as I can tell from 02H.

---

At 4:19 PM -0500 6/17/03, Steven Boozer wrote:

> My notes say that there were 5-10 different languages, "including
> English, Japanese and Klingon".  Since Klingon is one of the
> languages, it may mean that there is no card with both Klingon and
> English, or Klingon and German on it.  This may be SkyBox's sneaky
> way of getting fans to buy two cards.

Or 5-10.  I see.  Thanks for clarifying.

> All the texts have been published in HolQeD in batches of three
> over the years as each season's cards became available.  AFAIK,
> the complete set has never been published together.  Of course,
> being the Ca'Non Master, I have all the SkyBox texts in my notes
> - including the bilingual copyright notices - so if you want the
> whole set I'll be happy to send it to you.

Ah, no, that's okay -- if they're in HolQeD, I have them all then.

---

At 4:20 PM -0500 6/17/03, Steven Boozer wrote:
>qurgh wrote:
>> I have a large selection of these cards at home, and I have nagging
>> feeling that the season 7 ones had just English and pIqaD on them.

> A little more research online came up with the rumor that SkyBox
> never got Paramount's permission to use the language during the
> show's seventh season, which may explain the possible lack of
> tlhIngan Hol text -- only decorative pIqaD.  (As to why SkyBox
> might have lost Paramount's permission to use Hol, I can't imagine
> since Paramount apparently had no problem with it for the six
> previous years.)

Perhaps Paramount raised their price, or Skybox wanted to pay less
for the last season...

---

At 8:06 PM -0400 6/17/03, qurgh wrote:
> I have all the TNG ones, except for 32 and 33. All of them up to
> number 31 (and I assume therefore 32 and 33) have English, tlhIngan
> Hol and pIqaD on them.

Hmm, missing the same ones as I am...  I guess those are harder to
find then...

> 37, 38 and 39 (7th season cards) have only English and pIqaD on them
> (the  pIqaD is a very thin and squashed version).

And how!

> I also have the Qapla' card from the Star Trek TNG CCG, it was the
> only one they did in tlhIngan Hol.

Oh yeah!  I think I have that card, but it's not with my other cards.
Hmm, gotta find that...  Did HolQeD cover that one?
||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729   [email protected] [NEW!]   VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||