tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 14 17:56:45 2003

RE: number of seasons

In addition, I think we'd need to know several things about Kling (the Klingon star).  I think we would need to know the absolute magnitude of the star?  Has that been established yet?  Is Kling a main sequence - F or G type - star much like our own sun, the North Star, or Van Maanen's star?  Or is it a red star or red giant - K or M type - like Mira, Antares, or Vulcan?  Or is it a blue star - B or A type - like Rigel, Regulus, or Vega?  I don't remember ever seeing the star on any episode, although it did make an appearance on the Klingon computer game.
Also I think we'd need to know more about the orbit of Qo'nos around its sun.  How far out is the planet from the sun?  Obviously Qo'nos is in the "green belt" (the range of distances that a planet would need to be from the sun in order to be habitable) or we wouldn't even have Klingons.  But is it further out or closer to the sun that Earth is to its primary?  What of the orbit itself around the sun, is it circular?  And does Qo'nos have any sort of axial tilt?
Does Qo'nos have a moon or moons in orbit?  Our moon does effect the climate here on Earth (such as the tide cycle), so it would be reasonable to say that a moon or moons would have similar effects on Qo'nos.  In fact, if I remember right, the presence of the moon was one of the factors that caused the development of life here on Earth.
Any of these things I listed above could affect the climate of the planet, and therefore affect how Klingons divy up the seasons on Qo'nos.

Jesse

DloraH <[email protected]> wrote:
> ghItlh Quvar:
> >Since we don't know anything about the klingon planet's weather, we don't
> >even know if they also have four seasons (why should they??)
>
> the main reason they would have four seasons is they likely have two main
> extreme seasons (hot/cold, wet/dry, etc.) and two transitional seasons.
> only if Qo'noS's orbit is (virtually) circular and its axial tilt is
> (virtually) nil will there be no extreme seasons.

But why should they divide it up the same way we do?
With the weather we have here in Rochester, you wouldn't think to divide up
the year into four even seasons. We have a month, maybe two, of summer; the
rest is winter.

An example, our compass has four main directions. Klingons have three main
directions; chan, 'ev, and tIng.

DloraH