tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 13 11:27:19 2003

Re: KLBC chepqu' ne' QonoS

ghItlh Voragh:

>{taghwI'} is a "beginner, someone/something that begins"; if anything,
>something that starts something else should be *{taghmoHwI'} <g>.

That sounds like someone who makes you start, but not "start an engine".

>already have {chu'wI'} "trigger", derived from {chu'} "engage, activate,
>turn on (a device)" from PK:

I agree, {chu'wI'} is a better word for this.

But the verb {tagh} can be both transitive and intransitive; i.e. you can "begin" and you can "begin
a process":

PK:
  {taghbej mu'qaD veS}
  "Curse-warfare has definitely begun"

TKW:
  {Qu' DataghDI' 'aqtu' mellota' je yIqaw}
  "When you begin a mission, remember Aktuh and Melota."

The translation is clear: "begin a process, initiate"
("initiate" is a transitive verb)

>Not quite.  It should be {jIloStaHvIS...}.  Okrand wrote about {-vIS} in
>TKD (p.43) that "This suffix is always used along with the Type 7 suffix
>{-taH} 'continuous'."

right.

Quvar.

Back to archive top level