tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 12 05:36:28 2003

Re: KLBC chepqu' ne' QonoS

ghItlh chepqu' ne':

>tera' poH jar vagh, jaj cha'maH Hut, DIS cha'-pagh-pagh-wej

maj! bItoghlaH 'e' Datob :-)
Good. You have proven that you can count!

>Yesterday, my car was damaged.
>wa'Hu' QIH 'oH DujwI''e'.

Your car was damaged.
Does it mean that somebody "did damage" it, or is your car just broken? For the first
case, you could
use the {QIH} adding the v#5 {-lu'} and we get {QIHlu'} "somebody has damaged it" or
"it's
damaged". Using it as a noun won't work very well: "my ship is a destruction?"
I think your ship had a little defect, so it was {Duy'} "be defective, to not be complete or
perfect".
This verb (which can also be used as a noun) is used like any other verb:
   {wa'Hu' Duy' DujwIj}
   "yesterday, my ship was defective"

And remember that a ship cannot speak, so you should use the "normal" possessive
suffix {-wIj}

>It's starter was damaged.
>QIH 'oH Duj taHwI''e'.
{tagh} -  "to begin, initiate"
{taH}   -  "continue, endure, go on, survive"

You can do this as a noun-noun construction:
  "the ship's starter is defective":
   {Duy' DujwIj taghwI'}

Or, if you don't want to repeat the possessor, use the possessive suffix:
  "its starter is defective":
   {Duy' taghwI'Daj}

But without context, it is not clear what you are talking about.

>The entire morning was required for repairing it.
>tI'pu'ghachvaD Hoch po poQlu'.

Hm, nice. That's tricky. :-)
{tI'pu'ghach}  "the having-been-repaired" is not the "repairing"-word you are looking for.
For this kind of expressions (english "for xxx-ing") we can use the v#9 {-meH}:
   {tI'meH} "to repair it"
   {tI'meH poH} "time to repair it", "repairing time"

This looks "more Klingon" :-)

Next: the different uses of {Hoch}:
  1. with a plural suffix on the following word, it means "all (of them)"
  2. with no plural suffix on the following word, it means "every, each"
  3. when it follows the word, it means "all of it"
(there was a nice post here with the cake-example)

Anyway, memorize it, and then look at the following word, which I prefer:
   {naQ} "be full, whole, entire"
like any adjectivally used verb, it follows the noun:
   {po naQ} "the entire morning"

Now we can put these together, and get a nice sentence:
  {Duj tI'meH po naQ poQlu'}
  "to repair the ship, the entire morning is required"

If you think this sounds like some person "required, asked for" this time, one might
prefer to use the
word {natlh} "use up, consume, expend":

  {Duj tI'meH po Hoch natlhlu'pu'}
  "to repair the ship, all of the morning has been consumed"

>While I was waiting, I received "The Klingon Way". :-)
>jIloSlI'vIS "tlhIngan tIgh: SuvwI' DevmeH paq" vIHevpu'. }}:-)

maj.

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
  ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH