tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 09 18:57:48 2003

Re: I too need help with Vocabulary

----- Original Message -----
From: "Klingon Warrior" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 5:46 PM
Subject: Re: I too need help with Vocabulary

> <<jaj Hoch qaStaHvIS vum(taH)>> (he's been working all day).  Why is
<<qaStaHvIS>> in there?  I may not understand just quite how to use
qaStaHvIS.  I know the rough translation is, "while it happens/occurrs."
Please explain.

I think I know the source of your confusion (besides the switching of
{qaStaHvIS} and {jaj Hoch}._ In Klingon, if you were to place {jaj Hoch} in
without the {qaStaHvIS}, you get:

{jaj Hoch vum}
He works the all day.

IF {vum} can take an object, this would be a legal sentence. I don't know
what it would communicate, but it would be grammatical. But it does not
convey the idea of the toil taking place over the course of an entire day.
By adding {qaStaHvIS, the sentence literally says,

"While the whole day happens, he works."

getting across what you want to say.
{bIyaj'a'?}

--ngabwI'
HovpoH juHDaq: