tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 10 01:45:03 2003

Re: I too need help with Vocabulary

ngabwI' wrote:
IF {vum} can take an object, this would be a legal sentence. I don't
know
what it would communicate, but it would be grammatical. But it does not
convey the idea of the toil taking place over the course of an entire
day.
By adding {qaStaHvIS, the sentence literally says,

"While the whole day happens, he works."

getting across what you want to say.
{bIyaj'a'?}

I don't really understand still...Is putting /jaj Hoch/ in front acting as an adverbial to give a time condition?  To say, "while the whole day happens..." wouldn't you place /jaj Hoch/ in the subject placement (that is, after /qaStaHvIS/)?  To me, there's nothing wrong with saying, "He works all day" (jaj Hoch vum ghaH).  It's like saying, "Today, he works," or "He works today" (DaHjaj vum ghaH).  Please explain more...I am still confused.  To me, /qaStaHvIS/ should be the adverbial if the sentence is really saying, "While the whole day happens, he works" (qaStaHvIS jaj Hoch vum ghaH).  This way, it's even saying that the "whole day" is happening (hence, is the subject for the verb /qaS/).

taHjaj wo'!