tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 09 09:48:43 2003

Re: Qapla': Noun or Exclamation?

Tyler Fisher:
> >In the dictionary, Qapla' is listed as a noun. Yet in
> >every instance I've seen the word used (canon or
> >otherwise), it's always been treated more like an
> >exclamation.
> >Don't you think that maybe Mark Okrand
> >should make some comment on this?

ghunchu'wI':
>He has.  TKW page 83:
>   Under most circumstances, a Klingon would never literally say
>   "farewell" or "good-bye" upon taking his leave; he would simply
>   walk away. If, however, he wanted to show honor or respect, he
>   may offer a salute, often verbalized as {Qapla'} (success).

Okrand has also commented elsewhere WRT {Qapla'}:

   This is used as an exclamation, a greeting, or a farewell. It means
   "Success (to you)." (STC:KLS)

   Similarly, at the end of a conversation, there is no Klingon equivalent
   for "good-bye" or "catch you later" or "have a nice day". If anything
   of a concluding nature is said at all, however, it will certainly be
   {Qapla'} ("success"), a customary send-off that has its origins in ship
   captains' dispatching their crews on dangerous and, most assuredly,
   glorious missions. (KGT 185)

   The common Klingon sendoff, {Qapla'}, "success", is another overt signal of
   this warrior spirit: success is always possible. (TKW 49)

   OKRAND: {Qapla'} means "success", which has become used as a general
hail...
   Q:      Well, we have to wrap this up now. Tell me, Dr Okrand, how does a
           Klingon say goodbye?
   OKRAND: He doesn't. When he's finished his business he just leaves.
   [sound of chair scraping across floor, sound of footsteps walking away,
   sound of door opening, a few more footsteps, door closing]
   (Okrand, interviewed on National Public Radio [date?])

At a convention in Halifax, Okrand said that {nuqneH} and {Qapla'} were
equally acceptable: you'd use {Qapla'} when greeting great warriors, but
the general greeting would be {nuqneH} (jejQIb, 10/1996).

Okrand has explained that Qapla' "does not mean the same thing as
'goodbye'" but is used as a sort of salute as warriors go off to battle. (KCD).

Okrand himself uses {Qapla'} as a closing salutation at the end of the
Introduction to TKW, the Introduction to KGT and often at the end of his
letters on startrek.klingon.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons