tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 09 14:07:03 2003

Re: correct?

naHQun wrote:

>Alright, I need to know if this is grammatically correct.

I'll respond since naHQun didn't flag this "KLBC".

>be'nalwI' yIHotQo' jay'!
>Do not *@#! touch my wife!

maj.

>bImoH DenIbya' Qotlh; rur.
>You are ugly, resembling a Denebian slime devil.

Watch your punctuation and prefixes:

   bImoH; DenIbya' Qotlh Darur.
   "You are ugly; you resemble a Denebian slime devil."

or more colloquially: "You're as ugly as a Denebian slime devil."

>qamuSqu' jay'!
>I *@#! HATE you!

maj.

>yIqalmoHQo', nIt.
>She is pure, do not corrupt her!

maj - although you reversed the clauses.

>jImut. be'nalwI'na' ghaH.
>I am selfish.  She is MY wife.

SPECULATION ALERT...

At first I was going to suggest:

   be'nalwI''e' ghaH.
   She is MY WIFE.

but now that I think of it, naHQun may have given us a tool to translate
"my own" - vs. just "my, mine" - which we haven't really bean able to
do.  E.g.:

   be'nalwI'na' ghaH.
   She is definitely MY wife (and not someone else's)

   be'nalna'wI' ghaH.
   She is my definite WIFE (main wife; or, not my {jup} or my {parmaqqay})

The only thing that may not work is the sequence of suffixes rule.  {-na'}
"definite, definitely, true, no doubt, real" is a Type-3 noun suffix, but
what class are possessive suffixes?  I don't have anything listed in my
notes; does that mean they're Rovers?

The only example I know of with both {-na'} and any possessive suffix on a
noun is {jupna'wI'} "my good friend" (KGT 202).

>yIngaghQo' nID!
>Do not attempt to mate with her.

This requires a sentence-as-object (SAO):

   Dangagh 'e' yInIDQo'!
   "You mate with her.  Do not attempt that!"

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level