tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 09 09:14:15 2003

Re: the glottal stop

From: "QeS lagh" <[email protected]>

> >What direct object?  The verb prefix {ma-} specifically precludes the
> >presence of a direct object for this verb.  Just because Klingon word
order
> >is OVS does not mean that any noun which (immediately) precedes a verb is
> >its object.  TKD, section 6.1 (p 60 in the English edition):
>
> Now I'm confused. I had thought that the purpose of the {-'e'} suffix in
> Klingon was only to specifically mark a noun in a sentence out for
emphasis,

/-'e'/ can be used this way, but /-'e'/ is also a topic marker.  It has been
used this way in at least one canon sentence:

qIbDaq SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS
You would be the greatest warrior in the galaxy. (Star Trek V)

I am also of the opinion that the rule in TKD's Addendum in which you may
move the object noun to the front of the sentence, before any adverbials or
other "headers," by placing /-'e'/ on it makes the noun no longer an object,
but a "header" with the semantic role of topic.

DaH Qel yISam
Find the doctor now!
(/Qel/ is the object.)

Qel'e' DaH yISam
Find the doctor now!
(/Qel'e'/ is the topic, and is not an object at all.  This sentence might be
rewritten as /Qel'e' DaH ghaH yISam/.)

(Note, this interpretation is my opinion, not a known fact.)

I also believe that in "to be" constructions, it makes no sense to speak of
a subject or object.  In /Qel ghaH loD'e'/ "the man is a doctor," I don't
believe that /Qel/ is the object and /loD'e'/ is the subject.  I believe
that /Qel ghaH/ "doctor him (he is a doctor)" is a statement, and /loD'e'/
indicates what you're talking about.  "As for the man, he is a doctor."

(This interpretation is also my opinion.)

It is also well established that /-'e'/ can be used on nouns to emphasize,
rather than topicalize.  It even makes sense to do both at the same time.

ropmey vor Qel'e'
As for the doctor, he cures diseases.
The DOCTOR cures diseases (as opposed to someone else).

In the right context, either of these interpretations might make sense, and
there could even be cases where both are relevant.  Imagine a listener who
ignorantly continues to believe that the patient (SID) is the one who cures
diseases.  The speaker grabs the listener's shoulders, shakes him a bit, and
shouts in his face, /Qel'e'!  ropmey vor Qel'e' jay'!!!/

In summary: /-'e'/ is known to be used both for topic and emphasis.

SuStel
Stardate 3437.6

Back to archive top level