tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 09 05:45:26 2003

Re: Qapla': Noun or Exclamation?

ghItlh ghunchu'wI':

>Here's a counterexample.  In the anthem {taHjaj wo'}, one finds:
>
>    ...Qapla' wIchav 'ej batlh wISuq...
>
> >Don't you think that maybe Mark Okrand
> >should make some comment on this?
>
>He has.  TKW page 83:
>   Under most circumstances, a Klingon would never literally say
>   "farewell" or "good-bye" upon taking his leave; he would simply
>   walk away. If, however, he wanted to show honor or respect, he
>   may offer a salute, often verbalized as {Qapla'} (success).

After KGT came out, I gave some thought to the possibility of {Qapla'} as a
verb: {Qap} + {la'}, that horrible class 5 suffix SuStel and I dislike so
much.

The result was ??{Qapla'} "one is able to succeed"

Might this have some etymological value?

Qapla'!

QeS lagh

Hotmail is now available on Australian mobile phones. Go to
http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/signup.asp

Back to archive top level