tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 12 05:36:44 2003

Re: -chuq

~mark:

>Not so.  It could still be plural "They hate themselves" (either each
>hates himself individually, or they collectively hate their collective
>self).  -chuq has to be plural, but this does not mean that -'egh has to
>be singular.  I'm too lazy to look it up, but don't we even have a canon
>example of "peqIp'egh" for "hit yourselves!"?

It's {peja''egh}. Here's the whole section:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
4.2.1. Type 1: Oneself/one another

  {-'egh} "oneself"

  This suffix is used to indicate that the action described by the verb affects the performer
of the action, the subject. It is translated by
English "self." When this suffix is used, the prefix set indicating "no object'' must also be
used.

    {jIqIp'egh} "I hit myself" ({qIp} "hit")
    {bIqIp'egh} "you hit yourself"
    {qIp'egh} "he/she hits himself/herself"

  It is also possible to use this suffix with imperative verbs. As with nonimperatives, the
prefix indicating "no object'' must be used.

    {yIja''egh} "tell yourself!" ({ja'} "tell")
    {peja''egh} "tell yourselves!"

  {-chuq} "one another"

  This suffix is used only with plural subjects. It is translated "each other" or "one
another." The prefix set indicating "no object'' is also
used when this suffix is used.

    {maqIpchuq} "we hit each other" ({qIp} "hit")
    {SuqIpchuq} "you (plural) hit each other"
    {qIpchuq} "they hit each other"
    {peqIpchuq} "hit each other!"

Quvar.

Back to archive top level