tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 23 12:46:24 2003

Re: Duytvoqtah - hui wat fuern tach!

ghItlh voragh:

> At 01:06 AM Wednesday 7/23/03, Quvar wrote:
>
> >As someone has pointed already, the old version of {Duj tIvoqtaH} is wrong
> >(hey, "old"...?
> >"ancient"! this must be a very old dialect :-) For those who wonder what
> >I think the closest is {yabmo' taH poH} "time continues because of the mind"
> >any other suggestions? It should stick to the original, and besides of
> >that, it's just a song.
>
> How about
>
>   yabDaq SaH poH
>   "the time (period) is present in the mind"
>
> or
>
>   yabDaq SaHtaH
>   "[it/they (i.e. {Duj}] is/are present in the mind"
>
> Both have the same number of syllables, so they should fit the beat.  I
> prefer the second because 1) it ends in {-taH} so it rhymes with
> {tIvoqtaH

Just as an aside: my Russian poetry teacher used to say that the Russians
considered it to be a "lazy rhyme" (and hence inferior) to make
a rhyme using the same ending from the same part of speech. I
try to follow this rule when I translate into Klingon, too. So,
I would avoid rhyming {-taH} with {-taH}. How about

 yabDaq reH SaH.

-- ter'eS

http://www.geocities.com/teresh_2000
http://www.geocities.com/weseb_2000