tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 24 15:53:25 2003

Re: Duytvoqtah - hui wat fuern tach!

Voragh wrote:
> >Of course, you
> >know that {poH} does not mean the abstract concept of time, or time in
> >general, but merely a period of time.  (But it's the closest we have and,
> >as you say, it's just a song.)

Quvar:
>Yes, indeed. I think there is not that many people who will notice this
>kind of "mistake".
>Question: what does the verb {poH} "time" mean?

Unfortunately, there are no examples but I'd guess that it means to measure
the length of time some event lasts.  (E.g. "The tactical officer timed the
interval between the Romulans' torpedo volleys.")  If so, it probably works
like the transitive verb {juv} "measure" which Okrand said "refers to the
action of somebody who is taking a measurement" (st.klingon 10/97) and gave
an example:

   naQjej vIjuv
   I measure the spear.

--