tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 30 15:30:50 2003

Re: 'el - Re: Lexicography

C. Krottje:
> >> SuyDuj - merchant ship (noun)
> >> K: neHmaHDaq 'el SuyDuj net chaw'
> >> E: The merchant ship was allowed to go into the Neutral Zone.

SuStel:

> > I believe that the object of /'el/ is the thing or place entered, so
> > /-Daq/ here is redundant.
> >
> > neHmaH 'el SuyDuj net chaw'

DloraH:
>HolQeD Dec 98, p9, the place/thing being entered is the object. But he also
>notes that you would not be killed just because you add the -Daq, just like
>with ghoS; without the -Daq is more proper, adding -Daq is ok.

For the sake of completeness, here's how Okrand has used {'el}:

   mIch 'elpu' jay'
   They've entered the @#$% sector! TKD

   'ach HoD, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'.
   But Captain, that course will take us into the [Great] Barrier as well. ST5

   HIq DaSammeH tach yI'el
   To find ale, go into a bar. TKW

   tach vI'el, HItlhej
   Let's go to the pub. RT

--
Voragh                            "Damage control is easy. Reading Klingon
- that's

Back to archive top level