tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 30 12:48:44 2003

'predicatively'

>> SuQ - be toxic (predicative use)
>
>Predicative use? I'm not sure how this applies.
>
>> K: puj SoHchugh chechtlhutlhvetlh yItlhutlhQo' SuQ 'oHmo'
>> E: Don't drink that chechtluth if you are weak, because
>> it is toxic
>
>/puj/ and /SuQ/ are verbs, and any verb suffixes used must
>go on these.
>
>bIpujchugh chechtlhutlhvetlh yItlhutlhQo' SuQmo'

Hmmmm. I just realised that I was indeed wrong there. I know
that they are definitely verbs (grammatically,
syntactically). What I meant with predicatively as compared
to adjectivally though, is the following.

qIj yuQ = the planet is black.
yuQ qIj = the black planet.

I would say, in the first instance, "(be) black" is used
predicatively, and in the second instance "(be) black" is
used adjectivally. How do I look at that second one anyway
(structure-wise). Does it literally say "planet it-is-black"
or could "yuQ qIj vIlegh" for example contain some kind of
one-word subordinate clause "yuQ qIj vIlegh" on a very deep
structural level being something like
"[planet] [that is black] [I-it][see]". If this isn't the
case, then I suppose adjectival verbs are not normal verbs
after all. At least it wouldn't really make sense to me to
see a verb following a noun, adding adjectival value to that
noun without that verb being at least slightly semi-verbal.
I don't know, I'm absolutely NOT very familiar with this
language, I only find it extremely intriguing. In my
perception, the adjectival verbs don't FULLY behave like
other verbs and they have some intrinsic copula-something
about them which would allow them to be in positions other
verbs wouldn't be in. I might be completely wrong but could
anyone shine a light on this?

<<qeyS>>

Back to archive top level