tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 30 10:17:41 2003

Lexicography

Greetings,

As some people on the list might recount, earlier on I had
posted some messages concerning a lexicography paper I was
writing on the overall presentation/layout/structure of the
TKD. I'm still working on that, and I was wondering whether
some of the example sentences I use in relation to the
lemmas I use to exemplify my points, are actually
grammatically correct. As far as possible, I would include
most of the example sentences used by Dr Okrand in his TKD
and KGT, yet I also made up some sentences myself.
I would like to hear some reactions to these, and, if
possible any suggestions for improvement. Also, if you feel
that other [preferably canon] phrases or sentences should be
used instead, others that also clarify the use of the word
concerned please tell me. NOTE that the lay-out I'm using
here is purely for the mailing list.
I will probably have this paper finished in one and half
weeks after which I will also post it on the list to get
some nice feedback.
Entries used plus example sentences...

SuQ – be toxic (predicative use)
K: puj SoHchugh chechtlhutlhvetlh yItlhutlhQo' SuQ 'oHmo'
E: Don't drink that chechtluth if you are weak, because it
is toxic
SuQ – be toxic (adjectival use)
K: tera'nganpu'vaD QaQbe' ay'mey SuQ
E: The toxic ingredients are not good for humans.
Surchem – force field (noun)
K: Surchem yIchu'Ha'! DaH!
E: Deactivate the force field! now!
Surgh – skin (transitive verb)
K: Ha'DIbaHmey luSurghnISlu'chu'
E: The animals must be skinned from head to foot.
SuS – blow (into wind instrument) to produce sound (trans.
verb)
K: DIran pangnIslu'be' 'ach 'oH SuSnISlu'
E: The DIran should not be plucked but it should be blown.
SuSDeq – windbag, bellows; blown musical instrument
consisting of a bag (us. Made of animal skin) and vibrating
strings (noun)
K: QoQ lIngmeH SuS lo'bogh jan 'oH SuSDeq'e'
E: The `bellows' is an instrument that uses air to produce
music.
Sut – clothing (noun)
K: tayvaD Sut lugh tuQnISlu'
E: One should wear the proper clothing for a ceremony.

EXTRA QUESTION: is <<Sut>> a mass noun (like English
'water' or can it also be used in the plural, e.g.
<<Sutmey>> (clothes)
Suy – merchant (noun)
K: tlhongbe' 'e' luwuq cha' Suypu'
E: The two merchants decided not to bargain
SuyDuj – merchant ship (noun)
K: neHmaHDaq 'el SuyDuj net chaw'
E: The merchant ship was allowed to go into the Neutral
Zone.
Suy' – type of animal, shooey (noun)
K: Suy’ bachHa' 'ach tlhuH taH 'oH
E: He had shot the shooey, but it continued to breathe.
Su’ – Ready! Standing by! (interjection)
K: Su’ yIbaH!
E: Standing by! Fire!
Su’lop – a concoction of different kinds of food and various
flavorful herbs which is fed to an animal about to be killed
for consumption, after which the partially digested food is
used as a sauce.

Anybody have a nice example sentence for this one?

Kind regards,

<<qeyS>>

Back to archive top level