tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 17 08:53:15 2003

Re: Greetings!

From: <[email protected]>
> >'ach wenvo' *ML*vam vIlaDtaH.
> I'm not sure if {wen} can be used like this, and I have *nothing* with me
> about klingon here. Someone else could explain pelase.

The suffixes /-vo'/ and /-Daq/ refer to spatial nouns only.  They talk about
places, not times.

I'm not sure what wa'jet was trying to say.  I think he meant, "But I've
been reading this mailing list for a month."

For describing durations, the /-vIS/ suffix is most useful.  One of the most
common constructions is /qaStaHvIS <time period>/ "while <time period>
occurred," "during <time period>."  Thus,

'ach qaStaHvIS wa' jar jabbI'IDghomvam* vIlaDtaH.
But I've been reading this mailing list for a month.

* I've used /jabbI'IDghom/ for "mailing list," but this is purely a
longstanding list convention.  There is no known word or phrase in Klingon
meaning what we mean by "mailing list."  The phrase was invented before we
had the words /QIn/ "message" and /tetlh/ "list," so perhaps /QIn tetlh/
"message list" would be a better translation.

Meanwhile, /wen/ "months ago" would most commonly be used as a "timestamp":
a noun that goes in front of a sentence and tells when the action takes
place, e.g., /cha' wen Duj je' HoD/ "The captain bought a ship two months
ago."

SuStel
Stardate 3046.2

Back to archive top level