tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 17 08:34:27 2003

Re: KLBC

From: <[email protected]>

> > When I say DaHoH - You kill him/her; DaHoHlu' - is "sth. kills you",
> > correct? Why not "You kill something undefinite"? Why the actor
> > (him/her) becomes unclear? Hope I could explain what I mean.

When you use the suffix /-lu'/, you're taking away the subject of the
sentence.  A verb with /-lu'/ does not have a subject.  Alternatively, you
might say that if you don't want a subject, use /-lu'/ instead.

Why does the verb prefix change from indicating subject-object to indicating
object only?  Why is /Da-/ in /DaHoH/ "you kill him/her/it/them" different
than the /Da-/ in /DaHoHlu'/ "you are killed," "someone/something
unspecified kills you"?  Just because.  The Klingon Dictionary says so.  You
simply have to learn the correct prefixes.

> > wIlegh - we see him, wIleghlu' - sth. sees us. What do I have  to say,
> > when I will express "We see sth. undefinite"?
> How can you see something indefinite??
> think about that! :-)
> If you see 'it', then the object is not indefinite anymore. The object is
> "it". For this, there is no special construction, you only say "we see
s.th.",
> using the noun {vay'} "something/someone":
>   {vay' wIlegh}

There are two ways to do this.  If you want an explicit object, /vay'
wIlegh/ "we see something" works.  If you just want to say you see things in
general, or you see things unspecified, you can say /malegh/ "we see."  This
also means "we see unspecified things," or "we see things in general."

There is no distinct grammar for an indefinite object.

SuStel
Stardate 3046.2

Back to archive top level