tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 28 14:46:47 2003

Re: KLBC love

DloraH wrote:
> > In different languages, there are often words that exist in one
> > that don't exist in another.
> >
> > Given the Klingon propensity to drink and toast, one might conclude that
> > there must be a noun for "drink" or "beverage."  But there isn't.  We have
> > been told (in KLINGON FOR THE GALACTIC TRAVELER) that there is no such
> word.
> > (There IS a word for "alcohol", /HIq/, but if you're talking about a
> > non-alcoholic beverage you have to name the beverage.)
>
>KGT p83:
>"The term for food of any kind (including beverages) is Soj."

KGT, p.94:

    There is no known noun referring to drinks in general (though, as
    noted above, beverages are considered a type of {Soj} ["food"]).
    Any alcoholic beverage is called {HIq}.  Federation Standard makes
    a distinction between the various forms of liquor; Klingon does not.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level