tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 25 01:30:04 2003

Re: New Member/Syll... correction

RPJ wrote:

>Right...  That's what I mean -- it doesn't feel like the breath is
>stopping when I say "radioactive".

I agree. In dutch or german, the stop is a bit more [pleeeaze nobody jump in and say how *they* do pronounce,
there are many ways]. You can hear that it's two words, that's all I wanted to point at.

>> Okrands example is "Uh-uh" for "no".
>
>Right -- and that I definitely feel.
Good. :-)

>I guess my point was that the glottal stops -- explicitly written and
>possibly quite forcefully pronounced -- is one of the things that
>makes Klingon a bit alien.  I doubt a Klingon would slide vowels as I
>feel myself doing in "radioactive"...

>Heh, of course, that doesn't lead to any kind of thoughts regarding
>*maraoy* vs *mara'oy* vs *maroy* etc, does it?

Oh, yes!
What you said above is exactly the explanation for why to say {mara'oy}: it sounds more "alien".
Somebody once said that one must pronounce klingon like a barking dog: *ba' ba' wa' wa' wu' wu'*
In Klingon one does not swallow any sounds.
{nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'} is "barking" *nuq! Daq! 'oH! puch! pa'! 'e'!* and not *nuq-Da-qogh-puj-paye*

Quvar
  nuq Da qoH pujpa' be'?

Back to archive top level