tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 24 18:51:20 2003

Re: New Member/Syll... correction

Quvar valer <[email protected]> wrote:
> Russ Perry Jr <[email protected]> wrote:
>> For me, I tend to feel the vowels slide into each other without a
>> real glottal stop; I guess it depends on how you define it...

> Define what? Glottal stop? That's a stop of breath in your throat

Right...  That's what I mean -- it doesn't feel like the breath is
stopping when I say "radioactive".

> Okrands example is "Uh-uh" for "no".

Right -- and that I definitely feel.

>> tend to think of the commonly given examples "bottle" and "ladder"

> I do not understand this example. Do you mean *bo'tel* for "bottle"?

More like *bo'el*, though few people pronounce it THAT hard.

> Okay, maybe this was not a best example, this word can sound like
> "radiowactive". The glottal stop between the two word is much
> stronger in German.

Funny, I can see "beamter" both ways, though if I'm trying to fake a
German accent, there's a definite feeling of stoppage, but I can
"english it up" without too.

I guess my point was that the glottal stops -- explicitly written and
possibly quite forcefully pronounced -- is one of the things that
makes Klingon a bit alien.  I doubt a Klingon would slide vowels as I
feel myself doing in "radioactive"...

Heh, of course, that doesn't lead to any kind of thoughts regarding
*maraoy* vs *mara'oy* vs *maroy* etc, does it?
||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729    [email protected] [NEW!]  VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||