tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 07 12:33:55 2003

Re: Qum

ngabwI':
> >Why not {maHvaD Qum ngabwI'}?
> >Isn't the object of {Qum} supposed to be the thing communicated (idea, word,
> >coordinates, love of chickens, etc.), or I am missing something?

Maybe in English, but we don't know whether {Qum} "communicate" can take an
object in Klingon.

Quvar BG:
>This is an interesting question to seriously consider. I'll let someone
>else answer this.

Okrand has used the verb {Qum} twice:

   jIQum
   I communicate. (STC:KLS)

   naDev bIQumqa' 'e' vItul.
   (untranslated, st.klingon 11/1996)

Based solely on these two examples, one could argue that {Qum} describes an
activity such as "sleep", which doesn't take an object in either
language.  We need more examples before we can make a determination whether
{Qum} is transitive.

--
Voragh                            "Damage control is easy. Reading Klingon
- that's

Back to archive top level