tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 07 12:27:27 2003

Re: KLBC: comparative structure as clause

From: "Quvar valer" <[email protected]>
> ghItlh ngabwI':
> >tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhtaHvIS, "Because my stomach is smarter than my brain,
I resumed eating" vIjatlh vIneH.
> >burghwIj val law', yabwIj val puS. 'e'mo', jISopqa'.
>
> The problem lies obviously in the {'e'mo'}.[...]
> I don't know any example for {'e'} combined with a suffix.
>
> My suggestion would be to put the {-mo'} at one of the verbs describing
the stomach:
>    "because my stomach is smart, and because my brain is not smart..."
>    *burghwIj val law'mo' 'ej yabwIj val puSmo' jISopqa'.*
>
> But I'm not sure if this would interrupt the "standard" law'/puS formula,
and hence lead to confusion.

Given that Okrand has shown us alternate ways to use the comparative
formula, and none of them add suffixes to the "built-in" verbs, we're pretty
sure you can't do this.

 Maybe we need to
> leave the law'/puS construction as it it, and add the -mo' only to the
last word:
>    "because my stomach is smarter than my brain ..."
>    *burghwIj val law' yabwIj val puSmo' jISopqa'.*
>
> I don't like my suggestion, though.

I'm certain that's dead wrong.

> Another suggestion is making it two sentences:

This is the way to go.

>    "Maybe my brain is smart, but because my stomach is very smart, I eat
again."
>    {chaq val yabwIj, 'a valchu'mo' burghwIj jISopqa'.}
>
> Now, I'd like to see other suggestions! :-)

This one isn't so hard:

burghwIj val law' yabwIj yab puS.  ngoDvammo' jISopqa'.
My stomach is smarter than my brain.  Because of this fact, I resumed
eating.

burghwIj val law' yabwIj yab puS.  vaj jISopqa'.
My stomach is smarter than my brain.  Thus, I resumed eating.

That last one is my favorite.

SuStel
Stardate 3104.1

Back to archive top level