tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 11 13:04:10 2002

Re: HeghmeH QaQbogh jaj yIngu'

From: "Quvar valer" <[email protected]>
> >qaqlaw' <yIjot'eghmoHtaH> "Remain calm!"
>
> I thought, if you "cause yourself to be sth", then you are not "sth"
before. But if you are already "xy",
> the command is just "be continuously xy" {yI*xy*taH}, or "keep being
xy"...

There's no /-choH/ involved here, so there's not necessarily a change of
state involved.  That would be /yIjot'eghchoHmoH/ "Become calm!" or "Cause
yourself to become calm!"

> Then please explain
> 1  page 20 {yIjotchoH} "Calm down!"

Some of us have speculated that the use of /-choH/ makes the verb one of
action.  /jot/ "be relaxed" is a state, while /jotchoH/ "become relaxed" is
an action.

> 2  page 189 {yI'Il} "Be sincere!"

I dunno.  An exception?  Okrand forgot?

> 3  page 190 {yIbaQ} "Be just picked!"

Slang?

In my opinion, Okrand wrote this rule to come up with an interesting
explanation of the verb /taD/'s slang usage, but he hasn't been consistent
in applying it.  However, his text says that "in general" the rule is
followed, so we can't just ignore it because we don't like it.  And since
we're not native Klingon speakers, we don't know when it's appropriate to
ignore it, except in those instances Okrand specifies (exactly one).

SuStel
Stardate 2696.1

Back to archive top level