tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 04 23:03:22 2002

RE: grammAr check

> je puqpu’ma’, be’nalpu’ma’ je, rojma’, je tlhab, lalDanma’, Qunma’ qawgach
>
> qawgach Qunma’, lalDanma’, je tlhab, rojma’, je be’nalpu’ma’, je puqpu’ma’
>
> …In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace,
> our wives, and our children…

TKD p55, [je] comes after the final noun in the list of nouns being grouped.

puqpu'ma' be'nalpu'ma' je
"Our children and our wives."

*[-gach] should be [-ghach].
Putting -ghach on a bare verb is kind of weird.  Let's keep qaw as a verb.

qawmeH  "for the purpose of remembering"

TKD p59, Klingon sentence structure is Object-Verb-Subject.
Object - the thing receiving the action.
Subject - the thing doing the action.

The stuff you listed is being remembered.  The one doing the remembering
is... is who?  Us?

The prefix for "we [to] them" is -DI.

Qunma' lalDanma' ... puqpu'ma' je DIqawmeH
"For the purpose that we remember our god, our religion, ... and our
children"

If you're not specifically refering to "us", we could use the 'Indefinite
subject' (TKD p38), the suffix -lu'.

Qunma' ... puqpu'ma' je luqawlu'meH
"For the purpose that our god,... and our children are remembered"

> and then;
>
> I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was
> taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen
> many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having
> been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a
> great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God,
> therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.
>
> jIH, nevI’ , bogh QaQ vav je’ SoS, ghIq mughojmoHta’ loQ
> Sovna’Daj; ‘ej leghta’ law’ Sengmey Ser jIjajmey, ‘ab,
> maS’a’ghach joH jIjajmey; ghaj Sov’a’ QaQ je’ peghmey Qun, ghIq
> jIchenmaH ta jIghu’mey jIjajmey.
>
> which should roughtly equal:
>
> I, Nephi, born of a good father and mother, subsequently (s)he
> taught me slightly of all of his knowledge; and (having) seen
> many troubles in the progress of my days, nevertheless, greatly
> prefer Lord my days; possess great knowledge of the good and
> secrets of God, subsequently I make a record of my situations in my days.

The possessive "my" is done with the suffix -wIj.  The prefix jI- is used on
verbs.  jajmeywIj "my days".  ghu'meywIj "my situations".

"nevertheless" is ['ach].  ['ab] has to do with measurements.

"make" is [chenmoH]. not [chenmaH].

The Klingon language is a language.  It has it's own grammar; it's own rules
about how words are put together.  It is not simply code words pulled out of
the dictionary and put in place of the english words.  As stated earlier,
klingon is Object-Verb-Subject.

Before working with poems and such, especially one that itself isn't
completely grammatical, containing run-on fragment sentences, we should try
something a little easier.

bong jolvoy' qIp mogh.
"Mogh accidentally hit the transporter ionizer unit."

bong is an adverbial.  It comes at the beginning of the sentence.
Then we have the OVS.
jolvoy' is the object.  It's what's being hit.
qIp is the action.
mogh is the subject.  He's doing the hitting.

So the subject is a "he" and the object is an "it".  Look on TKD page 33,
the chart shows that "he [to] it" is what's called a null prefix.  For this
we don't add any prefix.

vaj vIHoH.
"So, I killed him."

"I [do something to] him", the chart shows that the prefix for this is vI-.

DaH porghDaj jeq tajwIj.
"Now my knife protrudes from his body."

"his body" is the object; it's receiving the action.
-Daj is the suffix for "his".

"my knife" is the subject; it's doing the verb.
-wIj is the suffix for "my".

Now you write for me, "Tomorrow we will bury the corpse."

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level