tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 04 08:45:24 2002

Aw: Re: Aw: Re: jI-x-ghach? (was Re: tlhIngan Hol lujatlhbogh puq'e')

ja' ghunchu'wI':
> > I still don't know why {qaghojmoHghach} should mean "my
> > teaching you" instead of "your being caused to learn by me" or "the
> process
> > of you being taught by me" or even something else which I don't know.

vIjang. jIjatlh:
> >could you explain where you see the difference in these
> >three phrasings? to me they all seem to say the same thing.
>
> They're all talking about the same thing, but the emphasis is different.
> One focuses on what I'm doing; another focuses on what you're doing; yet
> another focuses on the activity itself.

so there is ambiguity - and a very minor one IMO.
I say so what?

> I'm having a very hard time making {-ghach} work with a prefixed verb.  I
> can puzzle out the intent behind it, though it sounds like it suffers from
> a major incompatibility.  {-wI'} and {-ghach} nominalize verbs, but a verb
> with a prefix is a *sentence*.  If you want to use a whole sentence as a
> noun, the pronouns {'e'} and {net} are there for you.

the usage is marked, but understandable, IMO.
you may disagree, but I guess you won't be able
to dissuade everybody from using such constructions
entirely. (but likely that wasn't your intent anyway)

> >(btw. I read "my teaching you" as equal to "me teaching you",
> >if that makes any difference to your explanation)
>
> Using "my" instead of "me" is correct grammar. :-)

(well, I don't know about "my"/"me" for sure, but I'm certain,
back in school they taught us "you singing" and "your singing"
- when used as nouns - were equiv, but maybe only for Brits...)

Marc Ruehlaender
aka HomDoq
Portabler MP3/CD-Player mit 480 Sek. Antischock, Fernbedienung,
ID3-Tag und integrierter Ladefunktion für nur 77,90 EUR bei mpX
http://www.arcor.de/home/redir.php/email.mpx