tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 26 11:53:06 2002

Re: Klingon WOTD: Sam (v)

> > Klingon word:   Sam
> > Definition:     locate, seek and find
>
> So this verb includes all these three meanings, to look for something and
> then find it? (as opposed to {nej} which is only searching)
>
> Sometime ago, some friend of mine asked me if it makes sense to say{vISampu'}.
> The apparent problem was that suffix {-pu'} makes something happened,
> without intention. The aspect suffix {-ta'} is used when you've accomplished
> something that you definitely wanted to. I think this is correct so far,
> please correct me if not.
> Now, what does {Sampu'} mean?
>
> I'd say that {vISamta'} sounds like "I located it, I did seek it, and I did
> find it, which I wanted, and now it's accomplished"
> {vISampu'} is "oops, I found it"??

TKD 4.2.7:

  The suffix {-taH} <continuous> can be used whether there is a
know goal or not. {-lI',} on the other hand, can be used only
when there is an implied goal. It is possible to consider {-lI'} a
<continuous> counterpart of {-ta',} and {-taH} a <continuous> coun-
terpart of {-pu'.}
<<<

It's likely that -pu' does not specify non-intent.
For "accidentally" we have /bong/.

To just happen upon something, finding it without looking for it, use /tu'/.

nej - seek
tu' - find, discover
Sam - seek and find, nej 'ej tu'

DloraH