tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 26 10:10:05 2002

Re: Klingon WOTD: Sam (v)

From: <[email protected]>
> > Klingon word:   Sam
> > Part of Speech: verb
> > Definition:     locate, seek and find
>
> Sometime ago, some friend of mine asked me if it makes sense to say
> {vISampu'}.
> The apparent problem was that suffix {-pu'} makes something happened,
> without intention. The aspect suffix {-ta'} is used when you've
accomplished
> something that you definitely wanted to. I think this is correct so far,
please
> correct me if not.
> Now, what does {Sampu'} mean?

I don't think anything tells us that /-pu'/ is a specific lack of intention.
When /-pu'/ is used, intention is not mentioned.

/Sampu'/
He has found it.
He had found it.
He will have found it.

It's neutral as to his intentions.  Maybe he was on a mission to find it,
maybe not.

> I'd say that {vISamta'} sounds like "I located it, I did seek it, and I
did
> find it, which I wanted, and now it's accomplished"

jIQochbe'.

> {vISampu'} is "oops, I found it"??

It COULD be used in this context, but this is not the only context it could
be used in.

SuStel
Stardate 2904.0

Back to archive top level