tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 21 12:36:10 2002

Re: KLBC: Phonetic Translation

--- [email protected] wrote:
> tlhIngan-Hol Digest 21 Nov 2002 06:00:00 -0000 Issue
> 2405
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:14:11 -0500
> From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: KLBC: Phonetic Translation
>
> >From: "Larry D. French Sr." <[email protected]>
> > > Oh good grief. Klingon as we write it ***IS*** a
> > > phonetic spelling! Just tell him it *IS* spelled
> > > phonetically, then teach him what the letters
> > > stand for.
> >
> >      How can I do that when I live 2 hours drive
> >away and I don't know it all that well myself? For
> >all that I know, I could be speaking Redneck
> >Klingon.
>
> Reread section 1 of THE KLINGON DICTIONARY. This
> describes all the sounds of Klingon. Acquire (if
> you have not already) any or all of the following:
> Conversational Klingon, Power Klingon, or the Star
> Trek: Klingon Language Lab (you need Windows 9x
> for that).

     I have all of that somewhere, but it is still
difficult to learn.

> SuStel
> Stardate 2888.1
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:43:29 -0500 (EST)
> From: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: KLBC: Phonetic Translation
>
> > > So, that's: Remember five vowel sounds, learn
> > > four consonants. If he is not capable of such
> > > a small task, how can he be a CO?
> >
> >      I would guess that he would know that. I am a
> > CO of another organization's ship and I am not
> > 100% sure that I know.
>
> He and you know what?  How he can be a CO?

     No, knowing the 5 vowels & 4 consonants.

> 1> > For him to read the real phonetic system we
> 1> > use, he would need to remember which vowels
> 1> > are long, which are short. He already knows
> 1> > the sounds. That's five sounds. Most of the
> 1> > consonants are close enough; a few need
> 1> > instructions, let's see... H, Q, tlh, '.
> 1> > That's four. Sure, to be proper there are
> 1> > several more he should learn, but if he
> 1> > wants minimum effort, we can allow a normal
> 1> > D, and q that sounds like k, etc.
> 1>
> 1>      I hope that he knows what that means,
> 1> because I am not sure that I do.
>
> 2> > Oh good grief. Klingon as we write it ***IS***
> 2> > a phonetic spelling! Just tell him it *IS*
> 2> > spelled phonetically, then teach him what the
> 2> > letters stand for.
> 2>
> 2>      How can I do that when I live 2 hours drive
> 2> away and I don't know it all that well myself?
> 2> For all that I know, I could be speaking Redneck
> 2> Klingon.
>
> 3> To me, -meh & -meH is the same pronounciation.
>
> 4>      I always thought the "H" was like a silent
> 4> H. thlinganmaH = Klingon ma
>
> For 1, 2, 3 and 4 I ask if you have yet read that
> link I gave you? (those lessons on my website:
> www2.rpa.net/~cheesbro/lessons  ) The first lesson
> (after the intro) covers pronunciation. If any of
> the descriptions are confusing, by all means ask
> about it.

     Yes, I reviewed it, but still have trouble
trying to get a correct phonetic spelling and my
mouth to work that way. I have never heard some of
those sounds produced that way.

> > > Huh? What is that second half there?
> >
> >      I don't have any idea. I think it is the CO's
> > translation for vanquish, but it's a guess.
>
> He added the english word "as" and then threw in,
> without any grammar, the words "they" (then a [']
> I guess just for looks) "plan" "destroy" (but left
> of the [']) "cause damage" "us".

     I don't have any idea. I sent him what you
translated and then he sent me his version to
create a phonetic script of it. I think he wants to
put this paragragh on the ship website. Every time
he put something in tlhlingan Hol on the website,
he'd get complaints that it doesn't show how to
pronounce it. So now, he makes me decipher it.

> DloraH
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:47:04 +0100
> From: Quvar valer <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: KLBC: Phonetic Translation
>
> Am 19.11.2002 22:29:57, schrieb "Larry D. French
> Sr." <[email protected]>:
>
> >Please tell me if I am at least close to correct.
>
> No offense, but you're not close at all

     I tried to come close.

> >and attempted to phonetically spell it out.
>
> I'll keep my answer short, since it has been
> answered already.
> 1. Don't try to phonetically spell klingon.
>    because
> 2. the writing system we use is already phonetic

     The Captain is getting complaints that nobody
can properly pronounce what is written without
seeing the phonetic breakdown.

> or why do you think we make a difference between {q}
> and {Q}? You use "k" for both:
>
> >'Iw qa' qul qa' je DIrI', batlh maQojmeH nuDevjaj.
> >EW Ka kool ka je di-ri bat ma-koj-meh nu-dev-jaj
> If you wouldn't tell me anything, I'd read that as
>    *'Iw qa qul qa jI day ray bet ma qoy mI nuDev
> yay*

     I's are pronounced as ay and j's are pronounced
as y's? I've never heard it pronounced that way.

> And now you got the reason, why some Star Trek
> actors seem to be talking klingon, but you don't
> recognize it when you listen. They read from the
> closed captions or they don't know the correct
> use of Okrand's phonetical system.

     When the actors talk Klingon, that's the only
time I hear Klingon being spoken with the exception
of a few times at conventions. When I hear the actors
pronounce it, I repeat it to learn how to speak it.

> Quvar
> Beginners' Grammarian
>   ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:36:30 +0100
> From: Quvar valer <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: New York
>
> Am 20.11.2002 16:56:56, schrieb [email protected]:
>
> vIleghpu' je. I also seen it.
> I know more than one blond Klingon.
> jIb wov ghajbogh tlhIngan puS vISov.

     I am a blond klingon as well:
http://profiles.yahoo.com/admiral_kmoghjih

> I agree it's quite unusual, but what is worse that's
> a blond beard! :-)
> motlhHa'bej, 'ach motlhHa'chu' rol'e' wov!
>
> Quvar.
>   ghojwI'pu'lI' tISaH.

K'moghjIH
House Ki'RK