tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 18 07:12:50 2002

RE: Tao Te Ching (part III)

RE: Tao Te Ching (part III)

>>      ju     shan    di,
>>      xin    shan    yuan,
>>      yu     shan    ren.
>>      yan    shan    xin,
>>      zheng  shan    zhi,
>>      shi    shan    neng,
>>      dong   shan    shi.

>I don't know chinese yet;

toH, Holvam Daghoj 'e' DaHech'a'?
Seghmey law' ghaj Holvam. SeghvaD vIHaDtaHbogh "Putonghua" ponglu'. Do'Ha'
pIm "Putonghua", China Hol tIQ je. 'ej Laozi paQDI'norgh yajlu'meH China Hol
tIQ SovnISlu'. vaj jIchIDnIS: paqvam vImeghmeH loQ jItlhIb.

My problem is that Tao Te Ching was written in classical Chinese, which
differs quite a lot from Modern Chinese, such as Putongua, which is what
I've been learning. I admit to not being perfectly qualified to undertake
the traslation.

>which version do you think most resembles the original?

Version 3 is almost a "mirror" image of the original in that it uses almost
the same words (well, their Klingon equivalents), arranged in the same way.

>The chinese looks concise, qar'a'? 1 and 2 look a bit drawn out.

"Concise" doesn't begin to describe it! In fact, one of the reasons why
there are so many diverse translations of "Tao Te Ching" is because the book
was written in an extremely laconic way, with most of the grammatical words
(particles, prepositions, even pronouns, etc) omitted. Reading "Tao Te
Ching" is almost like going through a book written mainly in Clipped
Klingon! Inevitably each translator resolves the intederminacies and
ambiguities in his or her own different way. However, a decent Klingon
version need not be the shortest one.

>There are some people that won't like 3; I don't see any problem using the
>type 5 suffix -'e' in the header where all the other type 5 suffixes get
>used.

'ISqu'