tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 13 07:32:24 2002

Re: KLBC the effects of -Ha'

ghItlh "Sebastian DuMars" <[email protected]>:
> The way I understand it -Ha' changes the verb to its opposite.
Not only the opposite. It can mean "undo", "mis-, dis-, un-, de-", "wrongly".
Of course in many cases it's just the opposite, like in {par/parHa'}, but sometimes there isn't even an appropriate english
translation.

Did you read TKD 4.3 already?
Here's some highlights:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
  {-Ha'} "undo"
  This negative suffix implies not merely that something is not done (as does {-be'}), but that there is a change of state:
something that was previously done is now undone. For convenience, it will here be translated as "undo," but it is closer
to the English prefixes "mis-, de-, dis-" (as in "misunderstand, demystify, disentangle"). It is also used if something is done
wrongly. Unlike {-be'}, {-Ha'} can be used in imperatives.

    {chenHa'moHlaH} "it can destroy them"
This verb actually means something like it can cause them to undo their form.

    {Do'Ha'} "it is unfortunate"
The use of {-Ha'} in this sentence suggests a turn of luck from good to bad.

>jatlh=speak           jatlhHa'=misspeak?
Yes. TKD 4.3 further:
<<<<<<<<
    {bIjatlhHa'chugh} "if you say the wrong thing"
This shows how {-Ha'} can be used in the sense of "wrongly." The word might be translated as "if you misspeak." Using
{-be'} (that is, {bIjatlhbe'chugh}) would mean "if you don't speak."

>Such=visit            SuchHa'=shun/avoid contact?
I don't know that.

>yIn=live                 yInHa'= is this another way to say 'die'
>or would 'unliving' be better. Could this be used to express
>the state of being of a vampire for example.
No, they are "un-dead", not "un-living" :-)
Perhabs this can be used for someone who is still alive, but only because he's attached to a life-supporting machine. Still
living, but not really alive...

>nep=lie                  nepHa'= another expression for 'be true' or 'to tell the truth"
I don't think so, because there is a word for "tell the truth": {vIt}
I'm not sure, but I'd say that here, the "wrongly"-meaning can also be applied, describing a bad liar.

>ghoj=learn            ghojHa'=forget?
"mis-learn", like with jatlhHa', this means "learn wrongly".

{ghojmoH} - "teach"
{ghojHa'moH} - "un-teach"
If I tell you crap, I {ghojHa'moH}you.
Maybe if I disturb you while doing your homework, I {ghojHa'moH}you.

>ghaj=have            ghajHa'=lose?
Here, we also have a word for "lose, misplace" {chIl}:
   {tlhonchaj chIljaj}
   "may they lose their nostrils"

I think {ghajHa'} is a stronger version of {ghajbe'}.
   - De' Daghaj'a'?
   - ghobe', De' vIghajbe'
- Do you have the information?
- No, I don't. (I never do, and you know that)

   - De' Daghaj'a'?
   - ghobe' jay', De' vIghajHa'!
- Do you have the information?
- No, dammit, I don't. (I had it, but I don't any more)

Here you could say that it means "lose". But that's not what is being said.
The person did not lose it, he just doesn't have it any more. (it could be stolen, vaporised, escaped,...)

>legh=see              leghHa'=??????
This could mean, "not see perfectly". Maybe when you see something, you believe it's a man, but in fact, it's a woman.
The you really did "mis-see".

>ghItlh=write          ghItlhHa'=erase? or deface?
Also "wrongly": making a typo is for me {ghItlhHa'}

I am not sure about all these words, so I'm looking forward to comments from people who like giving comments ;-)

Here are some other canon examples for the Rover {-Ha'}:
{bachHa'} "mis-shoot", slang for "err, make a mistake"
{belHa'}"be displeased"
used in math:
{boq} for addition, {boqHa'} for subtraction
{buSHa'}"ignore"
{Do'Ha'} "be unfortunate"
{ghomHa'} "scatter, disperse"
{jejHa'}"be dull, blunt (blades)"
{jotHa'}"be uneasy"
{lay'Ha'} "break one's word"
{lItHa'}"get off (of s.th.) (command to pet)."
{lobHa'} disobey
And many more, I have no time now to find them all. I hope that least these can explain alttle.

>Sebastian DuMars
Sounds french...

>qelgetlh veS joHneS'a'
If that's a name, it doesn't have to make sense.
Tell me if it should :-)

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
  ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH