tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 06 14:27:52 2002

Re: Frasier

Voragh:
> > I think that "Shoave" in the captions rhymes with "Shrove" (not "shove",
> >
> > which would be a different vowel) and is supposed to be a phonetic
> spelling
> > of {Sov}.  Although I didn't hear it, if some people heard an extra
> > syllable following {Sov}, it may be that Grammer paused slightly after
> > the word, adding an "uh", or was confused by the final /e/ in the
> > transcription.
> >
> > If Okrand didn't write this - and it's pretty good (certainly much better
> > than anything we've seen the Trek writers do!) - whoever did probably used
> > existing vocabulary, and didn't try inventing a new word *{Sov'a'}
> > "wisdom".

DloraH:
>Invent a new word?  Sov is a verb AND A NOUN.  (in the addendum)

Yes, a new word.  {Sov} is an existing noun meaning "knowledge" while
{Sov'a'} is a NEW NOUN meaning "wisdom".

>I'm sticking with Sov'a'.

Now that we know Okrand did the translation, I'm inclined to agree with you
although it doesn't match the phonetic transcription /Shoave/ {Sov} which
Okrand probably also provided.  Assuming that the captioner didn't skip a
syllable, I would have expected something like /Shoave-ah/ for {Sov'a'}.

--
Voragh                            "All the meaning is in the context."
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons           (Ilya Kabakov, Russian artist)

Back to archive top level