tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 06 12:09:23 2002

Re: Frasier

> > Here's the closed captioning (get ready to wince):
> >
> > Pookh lod wih le koo
> > Hach jahj cho-koov-moakh
> > Leng-lidge lou-teb
> > Jahj leng widge-vahd bel rahp
> > Shoave dah-nobe-poo-boagh

That's not so bad for a phonetic spelling for actors; after all, you can't
expect them to be familiar with the details of Okrand's idiosyncratic
orthography.  This is probably the same phonetic spelling that was in the
script.  Besides, we've all heard how non-Klingonist actors distort
Okrand's system when left to their own devices.

DloraH wrote:
>So compared with my attempt, I just need to change a suffix on the last
>word.
>Instead of /Danobqu'bogh/, it should be /Danobpu'bogh/ "which you have
>already
>given."
>
>puqloDwI' le'qu', Hoch jaj choquvmoH.  langlIj lutebjaj langwIjvaD bel rap,
>Sov'a' Danobpu'bogh.

N.B.:  lenglIj, lengwIjvaD.   {lang} is "be thin"!

I think that "Shoave" in the captions rhymes with "Shrove" (not "shove",
which would be a different vowel) and is supposed to be a phonetic spelling
of {Sov}.  Although I didn't hear it, if some people heard an extra
syllable following {Sov}, it may be that Grammer paused slightly after the
word, adding an "uh", or was confused by the final /e/ in the transcription.

If Okrand didn't write this - and it's pretty good (certainly much better
than anything we've seen the Trek writers do!) - whoever did probably used
existing vocabulary, and didn't try inventing a new word *{Sov'a'} "wisdom".

--
Voragh                            "All the meaning is in the context."
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons           (Ilya Kabakov, Russian artist)

Back to archive top level